I have recently attempted to establish that there is significance to the year 5708 on the Jewish calendar. If you have not read the posts already, you can find them here. However, it is blindness to not realize that the State of Israel that we have had these last 60 years is not the pinnacle of history. We must see that the State of Israel is a means, not an end.
Maaseh Avot Siman LaBanim - The deeds of the forefathers are a sign for the children.
As I quoted before, the original Right Side of Kedushah (Side of Chesed), Avraham, which represents Moshiach ben Dovid, was perfected through the birth of the Yishmael, and the original Left Side of Kedushah (Side of Din), Yitzchak, which represents Moshiach ben Yosef, was perfected through the birth of Esav. (The reason, in short, is their birth was the removal of the Klipah from the Kedushah.)
Now we can see one of the reasons that Yitzchak merited children earlier than Avraham; Moshiach ben Yosef comes first, he is the First Moshiach.
The 2 sides of Moshiach, Moshiach ben Yosef, and Moshiach ben Dovid, came in to this world (no, I do not mean that they were born on that day) with the founding of the State of Israel. Perhaps more proper is to say that they stood up at the time of the founding of the State of Israel. Up to a certain point, Moshiach ben Yosef is concealed in the Klipah of the Left, and up to another certain point, Moshiach ben Dovid is concealed in the Klipah of the Right.
So let us examine the lives of Avraham and Yitzchak as brought in the Chumash and Seder Olam Rabba with the notes of the GR"A.
The Chumash teaches that when Yaakov and Esav were born, Yitzchak was 60 years old. However this is problematic by itself: Esav was the firstborn and destined to carry on the family line. According to the Seder Olam Rabba, Esav and Yaakov were 15 years old when Esav sold Yaakov the bechorah (i.e. Yaakov became legally the firstborn at that point). This point is further made in Rashi to Breishit 27:36 - Yitzchak agrees that Yaakov was the rightful recipient of the blessings because Esav sold him the bechorah.
Let's move on to Avraham.
As per the GR"A on Seder Olam Rabba, Avraham Avinu left Ur Kasdim when he was 70 years of age. He then spent 5 years in Charan, and it was there that Brit Bein HaBetarim took place. That same year, while he was 75, he made Aliyah, was forced to go to Mitzraim due to the famine, and came back to Eretz Yisrael. After 10 years of being in Eretz Yisrael and still being barren, Sarah gives Hagar to Avraham, and 9 months later Yishmael is born, with Avraham being 86 years of age.
But let us not ignore Yaakov. Although Yaakov came in to the world without having a Klipah attached to him, the events of his life still have meaning for our times. Seder Olam Rabba states that Yaakov was 63 years of age when Yitzchak (at Rivkah's behest) commanded him to go find a wife (but her real intention is to flee Esav). It was another 14 years, when he was 77 years old, however, before he actually left Eretz Yisrael. It would be a further 20 years, when he was 97, that Yaakov Avinu conquered the Angel. He was yet 1 year older, 98, when he arrived "complete to the city of Shechem".
Our anniversary point is the 20th of the Omer, the day the State of Israel was founded. We will count according to the way people speak, how many anniversary dates we've reached.
That leaves us with the following years:
- Between Yom HaAtzmaut 5768 and Yom HaAtzmaut 5769 - Esav is born. The initial separation of Moshiach ben Yosef from the Internal Klipah of the Left Side, the Erev Rav.
- Between Yom HaAtzmaut 5771 and Yom HaAtzmaut 5772 - Yaakov is told by Yitzchak to flee Esav. This signals the impending end of the Galut. He who doesn't leave Esav by the appointed time is in danger.
- Between Yom HaAtzmaut 5783 and Yom HaAtzmaut 5784 - Esav loses the Bechorah. By this point the External Klipah of the Left Side, Esav, will have been defeated by Moshiach ben Yosef. This will be a turbulent year of ups and downs, reflecting Avraham's Aliyah, as well as his short sojurn in Mitzraim and his return to Eretz Yisrael. This is the year Avraham was promised Eretz Yisrael for his descendents forever.
- Between Yom HaAtzmaut 5794 and Yom HaAtzmaut 5795 - Yishmael is born. By this period, Moshiach ben Dovid will have complete freedom from the Klipah of the Right Side, Yishmael.
- Between Yom HaAtzmaut 5805 and Yom HaAtzmaut 5806 - Yaakov defeats the angel. This might hint at the defeat of the Angel of Death.
- Between Yom HaAtzmaut 5806 and Yom HaAtzmaut 5807 - Yaakov is complete. The unification of the 2 Moshiach's.
According to Targum Yonatan, Rivkah was pregnant with Esav and Yaakov for a total of 270 days. We know from the Gemara that the soul is put in the fetus 40 days in to pregnancy (Menachot 99b), so we can add 230 days on to the beginning of the events of 5768 and 5794, however, as is the concealed nature of pregnancy, we will comprehend this period after the fact. This is further hinted at by the troublesome nature of both births. For Avraham, he had to go to another woman, Hagar the Mitzrit. For Yitzchak, the entire beginning of Parshat Toldot shows us how there was conflict in the womb, up until the birth itself.
Kol HaTor shows us another hint regarding Moshiach ben Yosef. In chapter 2, we learn the following:
- Yosef HaTzaddik became Moshiach ben Yosef at age 17, when he had his first dreams.
- Yitzchak Avinu became Moshiach ben Yosef at age 37, at the time of the Akiedah.
- Yehoshua bin-Nun became Moshiach ben Yosef at age 42, at the time he fought against Amalek.
- Avraham Avinu became Moshiach ben Yosef at age 75, at the time of Brit Bein HaBetarim.
- Moshe Rabbeinu became Moshiach ben Yosef at age 81, at the time he took Yosef's bones out of Mitzraim.
Why do I say 81 years for Moshe? The Jewish system of counting that we have for our forefathers, and the accompanying timeline of human history, is based on counting birthdays past. I.e. the entire year 1948, until his first birthday, is considered year 0. Shemot 7:7 says that Moshe was 80 years old when he spoke to Par'oh. According to tradition, this was about 6 months prior to the actual Exodus, and as such, Moshe reached his next birthday before Yetziat Mitzraim (Moshe's birthday is the 7th of Adar, some 6-7 weeks before Pesach).
If we line this up with our timeline of the State of Israel, we find the following:
- 17 years - Yom HaAtzmaut 5725 - Yom HaAtzmaut 5726 - On the 16th of Iyar 5725, Eli Cohen is hanged in Syria, just 11 days in to this period. He sacrificed his life to save Am Yisrael from danger.
- 37 years - Yom HaAtzmaut 5745 - Yom HaAtzmaut 5746 - On the 8th of Kislev 5746, Jonathan Pollard is refused entry to the Israeli Embassy and arrested in America. He was rejected by his brothers.
- 42 years - Yom HaAtzmaut 5750 - Yom HaAtzmaut 5751 - On the 17th of Cheshvan 5751, Rav Meir Kahane is assassinated in Brooklyn by a terrorist on the payroll of Osama Bin Laden. He worked tirelessly to inspire his brethren to follow Torah and return to Eretz Yisrael.
Using the past as a key to understanding the future:
- 75 years - Yom HaAtzmaut 5783 - Yom HaAtzmaut 5784
- 81 years - Yom HaAtzmaut 5789 - Yom HaAtzmaut 5790
These are years of danger for Moshiach ben Yosef. Moshiach ben Yosef is especially vulnerable to the Klipah of the Right at these times after he has defeated the Left.
May we all merit to have the strength to always stand with the side of truth.