Hashem removed Am Yisrael from Mitzraim in the year 2448, but it took another 40 years for Hashem to remove Mitzraim from Am Yisrael. Then, as a ready nation, Am Yisrael entered Eretz Yisrael in 2488.
This is indeed a metaphor for our times. They do not start and end consecutively as they did, but the parallels are there.
- Mitzraim: We leave the Mitzraim of our times, the physical lands of Galus.
- The Midbar: We adjust spiritually to the new reality of being under the direct guidance of Hashem.
- Eretz Yisrael: We enter Eretz Yisrael. All of it.
Am Yisrael of today has 2 basic states, Galus and Geulah, and we have 2 basic levels, physical and spiritual. We do not, however, have an interim place on the physical plane akin to the wanderings of Am Yisrael in the desert.
- Mitzraim: Physical Geulah
- The Midbar: Spiritual Geulah
- Eretz Yisrael: Putting the combination of the two Geulot in to action. We will truly be an Ohr LaGoyim and we will completely fix the world under the kingdom of Hashem.
The period of the Midbar is more relevant to those of us who live in Eretz Yisrael. Therefore, it is wise for us to study well the lessons brought in the Torah regarding Am Yisrael in the Midbar. We are coming up to Yetziat Mitzraim in the weekly Torah portion. Let us learn well. Learn from the pshat, learn from the commentaries. Do not just read. Absorb it, it is one of the challenges of our times. He who understands the lessons well will be able to choose correctly, aligning with Moshe, with Hashem's will. Learn about the Golden Calf, the 10 Spies, Korach, B'not Moav along with the other mistakes made. Then you will be able to avoid them and choose the Side of Kedushah. May Hashem open our eyes to understanding His Torah.